This is an absolute classic; Mount Kilimanjaro, in Tanzania, is one of the 7 Summits (the highest peak on each continent) and a popular trekking route for those, without mountaineering experience, looking to test themselves at altitude.
Height: 5895 metres (19,341 ft)
Type: Walking / Trekking
More info: Intrepid Travel
There are a number of different routes up Kilimanjaro, usually of slightly different lengths. The Marangu route is perhaps the most direct path, at "only" 5 days on the mountain and also one of the more "comfortable" as it is serviced by huts all the way. On this route you will also be accompanied by highly experienced porters and guides to aid your ascent.
The Best Bits.
- Experience one of Tanzania’s most historic buildings.
- Hike in alpine meadows, through thick forests and over seemingly lunar landscape.
- Enjoy the local wildlife, such as monkeys, hiding in the jungle on the way to Mandara hut.
- Enjoy the comfort and security of staying in purpose built huts.
- Climb Africa’a highest peak and enjoy the unique panorama.
Due to the nature of this trip you will need a good level of fitness. Despite the distances not being great, you will be subjected to the effects of altitude which amplify the difficulty of hiking uphill.
Your guides should be experienced in spotting the signs of altitude sickness so you should be in good hands however you need to be prepared for potential adverse effects.
It is important to note that you need to be comfortable with the gear you use. Trekking up Klimanjaro is not the moment to bust out shiny new boots only to have your feet shredded by blisters later the same day.
Also you should be prepared for cold weather, so warm mountain clothing and sleeping bag are essential.
- Day 1: Marangu - Briefing and kit inspection.
- Day 2: Mandara Hut - Hiking 8 km through rainforest to the Mandara Hut (2725 m).
- Day 3: Horombo Hut - Hiking 12km through alpine meadows to the Horombo Hut (3780m).
- Day 4: Kibo Hut / Uhuru Peak - Hiking 10km to the lunar landscape that surrounds the Kibo Hut (4740m).
- Day 5: Uhuru Peak / Horombo Hut - Hiking 6km to the summit of Uhuru Peak, Kiliimanjaro, before descending to the Horombo Hut.
- Day 6: Marangu - Descent and transfer back to Marangu – for a well earned shower!
- Day 7: Marangu - Typically the seventh day is one for relaxing, right? Or your own travel arrangements.
For more information or to book this or many other adventures visit Intrepid Travel.