The classic trek to the foot of the world’s highest mountain is probably the best known in the world, and for many keen trekkers it’s right at the top of their bucket list.
Mountain Area: Himalayas
Max Altitude: 5545m (18,192ft)
Duration: 19 days
Type: Walking / Trekking
More info: Mountain Kingdoms
Overview of Everest Base Camp Trek
It is important to choose one which offers a tried and trusted itinerary that ensures slow, gradual ascent through the Khumbu to ensure the best acclimatization - something which essential to successfully complete the trek.
Starting with a spectacular flight from Kathmandu to Lukla the trail ascends from the milky waters of the Dudh Khosi through the heart of Sherpa country to the more rarefied air and dramatic high mountain scenery beyond en route to Base Camp.
The trek should allow you to speak with your guides and locals to hear stories and legends as well as the fascinating history of the famous mountaineers that have passed along the same trail. Nights are spent in welcoming tea houses where hearty food and copious cups of Sherpa tea will help revive your weary body.
This is a strenuous trek that culminates with a visit to Base Camp where you might meet members of climbing expeditions in the spring, and the day after that you make an early morning ascent of Kala Pattar, 5,545m/18,192ft, which overlooks the Base Camp and offers spectacular views of Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse and Makalu.
The Best Bits
- Trek to both Everest Base Camp and Kala Pattar.
- Visit celebrated landmarks of Namche Bazaar, Thyangboche Monastery and Gorak Shep.
- Highly experienced Sherpa leaders, some of whom are Everest summiteers.
- Trek back to Lukla by a different route, visiting more villages and monasteries.
- Four-star hotel, time to relax and a walking tour whilst in Kathmandu.
- Day 1-3 - Fly to Kathmandu then on to Lukla to start the trek. (5-6 hour trek).
- Day 4-5 - Trek in to Namche Bazaar (6 hour trek). The next day is a free day to help acclimatise. Possible to up to the Park Headquarters and visit the Sagarmatha National Park Museum.
- Day 6-7 - Trek up the Nangpo Drangpo valley to Thame. Visit the Thame Monastery before the trek continues on to Khunde. (6-7 hour trek on each day)
- Day 8-9 - Trek to Thyangboche monastery for the spectacular panorama. Trek to village of Dingboche. (5-6 hour trek each day)
- Day 10-11 - Acclimatisation day at 4,350m/14,271ft. Option for walks to explore the area, before trekking on to Lobuche. (5 hour trek)
- Day 12 - Ascent to Everest Base Camp (5,300m/17,388ft) offering spectacular views of the awesome Khumbu ice-fall. (6-7 hour trek)
- Day 13 - After a difficult2-3 hours of ascent, you reach the highest point of the trek; the rock summit of Kala Pattar at 5,545m. This offers exceptional views of the summit of Mount Everest amongst other Himalayan peaks. (7 hour trek)
- Day 14-15 - Descent to Monjo accompanied by spectacular mountain views. (5-6 hour trek each day)
- Day 16 - Walk to Lukla and the end of the trek. Time for a beer! (6-7 hour trek)
- Day 17-19 - Travel to Kathmandu, relax and fly onwards.
For more information or to book this or many other adventures visit Mountain Kingdoms.