MOUNT KORAB IS THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN IN ALBANIA STANDING AT 2764 M (9068 FT) ABOVE SEA LEVEL. IT IS LOCATED IN THE KORAB-KORITNIK NATURAL PARK AND IS PART OF THE ŠAR MOUNTAIN RANGE, ALBANIA.
The Korab mountain range stretches for more than 40 km (25 mi) close to the border between Albania, Macedonia and Kosovo, with Mount Korab being the highest point in the first two countries. The peak opens a spectacular view on the surrounding mountain peaks, majority of which are almost as high in elevation. Mount Korab is also home to beautiful Korab Falls in the valley situated in the upper part of the mountain. In spring the waterfall can get as high as 130 m (426 ft) and serves as a popular attraction among local visitors.
The mountain slopes are very rugged and steep consisting mainly of ancient Paleozoic rocks. The ascent can be quite challenging and is much easier when entering from the Macedonian side. However, climbers should keep in mind visa regulations and entry requirements between the two countries.
THE FIVE HIGHEST PEAKS IN ALBANIA:
- Korab - 2764 m (9068 ft), in the Korab-Koritnik Natural Park, Šar Mountain Range, Albania.
- Maja Jezercë - 2694 m (8839 ft), in the Prokletije Mountain Range, Albania.
- Maja e Papingut - 2482 m (8143 ft), in the Nemërçkë Mountain Range, Albania.
- Maja e Valamarës - 2373 m (7785 ft), in the Valamara Mountain Range, Korçë district, Albania.
- Maja e Këndrevicës - 2121 m (6959 ft), in the Mali i Gribës Mountain Range, Gjirokastër County, Albania.
LATEST BLOG POSTS
I quit the rat-race to live a more adventurous life. This is my journey.