KÉKES IS THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN IN HUNGARY STANDING AT 1014 M (3327 FT) ABOVE SEA LEVEL IN THE MÁTRA MOUNTAIN RANGE 12 KM (7.5 MI) NORTHEAST OF THE TOWN OF GYÖNGYÖS IN HEVES COUNTY.
Mount Kékes is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Hungary, especially in recent years with a number of hotels, restaurants, shops and skiing resorts that offer a variety of recreation activities for any age and budget. The ascent is relatively easy and doesn’t require any special training.
Several paths lead to the summit, including the most renowned and challenging bicycle route starting in the town of Gyöngyös and stretching for over 17.8 km (11 mi). However, cycling is permitted only along specific routes, as the mountain lies within the Landscape Protection Area of the Mátra established in 1986 in order to guard the flora and fauna of the Mátra region and to ensure that the unique nature of the area is not interfered or spoiled.
THE FIVE HIGHEST POINTS IN HUNGARY:
- Kékes - 1014 m (3327 ft), in the Mátra Mountain Range, Heves County, Hungary.
- Istállós-kő - 958 m (3143 ft), in the Mátra Mountain Range, Heves County, Hungary.
- Csóványos - 938 m (3077 ft), in the Börzsöny Range, the North Hungarian Mountains, on the border between Nógrád County and Pest County, Hungary.
- Nagy-Milic - 894 m (2933 ft), on the border between Hungary and Slovakia, in the Zemplén Mountain Range, the Carpathian Mountains, Hungary.
- Pilis (Pilis-tető) - 756 m (2480 ft), in the Transdanubian Mountain Range, Hungary.
LATEST BLOG POSTS
I quit the rat-race to live a more adventurous life. This is my journey.