MOUNT ĐERAVICA IS THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN IN KOSOVO STANDING AT 2656 M (8714 FT) ABOVE SEA LEVEL. IT IS PART OF THE PROKLETIJE MOUNTAIN RANGE AND IS THE TALLEST PEAK IN THE DINARIC ALPS CHAIN.
Đeravica slopes are different from those of other mountains in the Prokletije Mountain Range covered with ancient limestones from Paleozoic era. Instead, it is famous for its chestnut forests and vast meadows of wild strawberries. The ascent is relatively easy, no special training or equipment is needed. The route to the summit runs through a number of glacial lakes of different sizes with the largest one - Đeravica Lake – located right below the peak.
The path is spectacular being one of the most beautiful tourist attractions in the region. However, due to the regional conflicts of the recent past, there is still a slight danger of finding landmines on the way. Even though the officials claim that the mountain should be clear of any minefields, the locals take great care when attempting the ascent, and climbers are advised to commence a journey at their own risk.
THE FIVE HIGHEST PEAKS IN KOSOVO:
- Đeravica - 2656 m (8714 ft), in the Prokletije Mountain Range, Dinaric Alps chain, Kosovo.
- Peskovi - 2651 m (8698 ft), in the Šar Mountain Range, Kosovo.
- Džini Beg - 2610 m (8563 ft), in the Šar Mountain Range, Kosovo.
- White Lake Peak - 2590 m (8497 ft), in the Šar Mountain Range, Kosovo.
- Maja e zezë - 2651 m (8698 ft), in the Šar Mountain Range, Kosovo.
LATEST BLOG POSTS
I quit the rat-race to live a more adventurous life. This is my journey.