WHILE THE ALPS, CONTAIN 537 PEAKS HIGHER THAN 3,000 M (9,843 FT), THE HIGH TATRAS IN SLOVAKIA DOES NOT HAVE A ONE MOUNTAIN, WHICH WOULD REACH THAT KIND OF ELEVATION. WITH ITS PEAK RISING TO 2,655 M (8,711 FT), GERLACHOVSKÝ ŠTÍT IS THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN IN SLOVAKIA.
Gerlachovský štít, often referred to as the Gerlach, is situated in a northern part of Slovakia, just next to the border with Poland. It is the highest peak of the High Tatras and the whole Carpathian mountain range - second longest mountain range in Europe - 1,500 km (932 mi).
As its rock quality is often compared to the famous Yosemite, the Gerlach is popular among rock climbers. However, due to tricky orientation and scrambling route, the access to the top is limited as visitors are only allowed to climb the peak with a certified mountain guide.
THE FIVE HIGHEST PEAKS IN SLOVAKIA:
All of the highest peaks in Slovakia are located close to each other in the High Tatras, which form a natural northern frontier with Poland.
- Gerlachovský štít - 2,655 m (8,711 ft), in the High Tatras range, north Slovakia.
- Gerlachovská veža - 2,642 m (8,668 ft), slightly north from the Gerlach.
- Lomnický štít - 2,633 m (8,638 ft), situated slightly east from the Gerlach.
- Ľadový štít - 2,627 m (8,619 ft), just next to Lomnický štít.
- Pyšný štít - 2,623 m (8,605 ft), slightly north from Lomnický štít.
LATEST BLOG POSTS
I quit the rat-race to live a more adventurous life. This is my journey.