If you’re looking for a truly epic adventure, you can’t get much better than the Karakoram mountains, home to K2, the second highest and probably the hardest of the world’s 8000 metre peaks.
Mountain Area: Karakoram
Max Altitude: 5585m (18,323ft)
Duration: 22 days
Type: Walking / Trekking
More info: Mountain Kingdoms
The K2 & Gondogoro La Trek, by Mountain Kingdoms, sees you abandoning civilization for two weeks as you follow in the footsteps of mountaineers along the stunning Baltoro Glacier.
En route you pass through a landscape of almost limitless harsh and towering summits, including names that are likely to send a shiver down your spine, even from the comfort of your armchair; Trango Towers, Masherbrum, Gore II and Broad Peak will all come rather spectacularly into view as the unique mountain panorama unfolds all around you.
Finally, in Concordia, K2, the savage mountain will be is revealed in all its auspicious glory. Concordia, often referred to as the ‘throne of the mountain gods’ is an extraordinary mountain amphitheatre and perhaps the most stunning campground you will ever stay in.
Following on from this is the trek over the Gondogoro La pass. This is where the adventure gets serious as you will need to strap on crampons and get your ice axe out to reach another unique viewing point. Around you, huge granite spires and enormous glaciers stand in the shadow of four summits over 8000 metres. From here the circuit is completed via a picturesque descent along the alpine meadows of the Hushe Valley.
The Best Bits.
- Trek along the awesome Baltoro glacier through the great peaks of the Karakoram
- Camp in Concordia’s stunning mountain amphitheatre.
- Optional hike towards K2’s Base Camp.
- Cross the spectacular Gondogoro La pass, 5,938m/19,483ft in the early morning.
- Descend out through the perfectly picturesque Hushe valley
K2 & the Gondogoro La Trek is a tough one. You will experience high altitude, reaching 5585 metres, and it requires the trekker to be fit and experienced. The pay off is the sensation of true wilderness in one of the great unspoilt mountain areas of the world.
- Day 1-2 - Fly to Islamabad, and then on to Skardu.
- Day 3-10 - Jeep ride to road head, hike from Askole up Baltoro Glacier to Concordia.
- Day 11-12 - Rest or contingency days at Concordia with the option to embark on other "side" walks.
- Day 13-14 - Trek to High Camp and cross Gondogoro La.
- Day 15-18 - Trek to Hushe.
- Day 19 - Drive to Skardu.
- Day 20-22 - Fly to Islamabad.
For more information or to book this or many other adventures visit Mountain Kingdoms.