PICO CRISTÓBAL COLÓN IS THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN IN COLOMBIA AND THE FIFTH MOST PROMINENT IN THE WORLD STANDING AT 5776 M (18950 FT) ABOVE SEA LEVEL. IT IS PART OF THE SIERRA NEVADA DE SANTA MARTA MOUNTAIN RANGE.
Pico Cristóbal Colón is located approximately 42 km (26 mi) from the Caribbean coast in northern Colombia. It is just one meter higher than its twin mountain Pico Simón Bolívar situated in the same mountain range.
Due to the peak’s proximity to the sea coast, the humidity is rather high which results in frequent rainfalls, while in the higher elevations climbers will experience permanent snow and ice. To avoid rainy seasons, the best months to visit the region are July and August, as well as December, January and February. The ascent is relatively easy.
THE FIVE HIGHEST PEAKS IN COLOMBIA:
- Pico Cristóbal Colón - 5776 m (18950 ft), in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta Mountain Range, Magdalena Department, Colombia.
- Pico Simón Bolívar - 5775 m (18947 ft), in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta Mountain Range, northern Colombia.
- Ritacuba Blanco (Ritak'uwa) - 5410 m (17750 ft), in the Andes Mountains, in the National Park Sierra Nevada del Cocuy y Güicán, Colombia.
- Nevado del Huila - 5364 m (17598 ft), at the border between the Huila, Tolima and Cauca departments, Colombia.
- Nevado del Ruiz (La Mesa de Herveo) - 5321 m (17457 ft), about 129 km (80 mi) west of Bogotá, at the border between the Caldas and Tolima departments, Colombia.
LATEST BLOG POSTS
I quit the rat-race to live a more adventurous life. This is my journey.