CHIMBORAZO IS A CURRENTLY INACTIVE STRATOVOLCANO AND THE HIGHEST POINT IN ECUADOR (6,263 M (20,548 FT)). IT IS BELIEVED THAT THE LAST ERUPTION OCCURRED IN 550 C.E. UNDER CLEAR WEATHER CONDITIONS, THE PEAK OF CHIMBORAZO CAN BE SEEN FROM THE CITY GUAYAQUIL, ALMOST 140 KM AWAY ON THE PACIFIC COAST.
Even though Chimborazo is not the highest mountain on the planet above sea level, it is the highest point on Earth, measured from the center outwards, due to equatorial bulge - a difference between the equatorial and polar diameters of a planet, because of the rotation force.
he top of Chimborazo is entirely covered with glaciers that have become sources of water for the populations of the nearby provinces. However the ice cap is melting in the recent years die to global warming, ashes from the closest active volcanos and El Niño phenomenon.
- How to Fund Your Adventure.
- Read our Guide to The Andes.
- Read our Chimborazo Profile Page.
- Read an article on travelling in Ecuador.
The English climber Edward Whymper was the first documented person to reach the mountain’s summit. Chimborazo is a very popular mountaineering destination and can be climbed all the year round with the best months being December–January and July–August.
THE FIVE HIGHEST PEAKS IN ECUADOR:
- Chimborazo - 6,263 m (20,548 ft), in the Cordillera Occidental of the Andes, 150 km from Quito, Ecuador.
- Cotopaxi - 5,897 m (19,347 ft), in the Latacunga canton of Cotopaxi Province, Ecuador.
- Cayambe - 5,790 m (19,000 ft), in Pichincha province, Ecuador.
- Antisana - 5,704 m (18,714), in the northern Andes, Ecuador.
- El Altar/Capac-Urcu - 5,319 m (17,451 ft), in Sangay National Park, 170 km from Quito, Ecuador.
LATEST BLOG POSTS
I quit the rat-race to live a more adventurous life. This is my journey.