MOUNT K2 (MOUNT GODWIN-AUSTEN OR CHHOGORI) IS THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN IN PAKISTAN AND THE SECOND HIGHEST ON THE PLANET STANDING AT 8611 M (28251 FT) ABOVE SEA LEVEL. IT IS LOCATED AT THE BORDER BETWEEN CHINA (TAXKORGAN TAJIK AUTONOMOUS COUNTY OF XINJIANG) AND PAKISTAN (BALTISTAN REGION).
Mount K2 is sometimes called the Savage Mountain because of its extremely challenging and dangerous ascent. It has 25% fatality rate among even the most experienced climbers which is one of the highest figures throughout the planet’s highest mountains. In addition, K2 has the greater base to peak height if compared to Mount Everest.
Most frequently the summit is climbed from the Pakistani side, as the Chinese route poses even more hazards and technical difficulties. Based on the documented ascents, the mountain has never been climbed during the winter months when the weather conditions tend to change rapidly.
THE FIVE HIGHEST PEAKS IN PAKISTAN:
- K2 – 8,611 m (28,251 ft), at the border between Taxkorgan Tajik Autonomous County of Xinjiang, China and Baltistan region, Pakistan.
- Broad Peak (Falchan Kangri) - 8051 m (26414 ft), in Baltistan region, in the Karakoram Mountain Range, at the border between Pakistan and China.
- Staircase Peak (Skyang Kangri) - 7545 m (24754 ft), in Baltistan region, in the Karakoram Mountain Range, at the border between Pakistan and China.
- Istor-o-Nal - 7403 m (24288 ft), in the Hindu Kush Mountain Range, in the Chitral District, North-West Frontier Province, Pakistan.
- Sherpi Kangri - 7380m (24210 ft), in the Saltoro Mountains, Karakoram Mountain Range, Pakistan.
LATEST BLOG POSTS
I quit the rat-race to live a more adventurous life. This is my journey.