NEVADO SAJAMA IS AN EXTINCT STRATOVOLCANO AND THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN IN BOLIVIA - 6,542 M (21,463 FT). THE ISOLATED SYMMETRICAL CONE OF THE MOUNTAIN IS SITUATED IN THE SAJAMA NATIONAL PARK JUST 24 KM FROM THE BORDER WITH CHILE.
Joseph Prem along with Wilfrid Kuehm climbed the summit in 1939 taking the route over the difficult southeast ridge. There is no preferrable season for climbing Nevada Sajama, although, as the name suggests, snowfall can be expected in October to April. Under favourable weather conditions, it is possible to climb the mountain within 2-3 days with minimal mountaineering equipment. The easiest route is via the southwestern ridge with only several snow slopes up to 45 degrees.
he Sajama National Park and surrounding territories are sparsely populated - you will only see a handful of houses and huts outside of the small village of Sajama. In this area the main activity is alpaca and llama farming.
- How to Fund Your Adventure.
- Read our Guide to the Andes.
- Browse a list of books / guidebooks about the Andes.
For the visitors, it can be exciting to explore the natural hot springs, "Chullpas" burial chambers and also other great mountains to climb such as Parinacota and Pomerata.
THE FIVE HIGHEST PEAKS IN BOLIVIA:
- Nevado Sajama - 6,542 m (21,463 ft), in Sajama Province, Curahuara de Carangas Municipality, Bolivia.
- Illimani - 6,438 m (21,122 ft), in the Cordillera Real, western Bolivia.
- Ancohuma - 6,427 m (21,086 ft), in the Cordillera Real, western Bolivia.
- Illampu - 6,368 m (20,892 ft), in the Cordillera Real, western Bolivia.
- Parinacota - 6,348 m (20,827 ft), at the border between Lauca National Park, Chile and Sajama National Park, Bolivia.
LATEST BLOG POSTS
I quit the rat-race to live a more adventurous life. This is my journey.